Quick Money Saving Ideas To Think About Over the Break – Savings Booster!
At times when bills are piling up, saving money may seem like mission impossible. Fortunately there are small steps you can start taking today to stay on top, improve your budget and boost your savings.
Sometimes it’s the smallest things that add up the most. Making minor changes can create a massive difference to your bank account. Think of all the things you do regularly, and change one thing. See the difference in your savings over a few months. For example:
- Cut back on coffee or alcohol. Scary as it may be, most people have significant levels of spending in this area and making this sacrifice can have additional health benefits too.
- DIY luxuries- cancel your gym membership and start walking each morning or afternoon instead (or you can download a workout app on your device and sweat it out at home). Skip the salon treatments and google home facial recipes.
- Take a packed lunch to work
- Invite friends to your home for dinner and ask that they bring a plate. This will save plenty on dining out costs.
- Use the library to borrow books and movies.
- Try living off cash only for a month and not using the credit card once.
- Frequently check and review your bank statements so you know where you are financially.
- Have a budget for birthdays and gifts and never exceed it. Alternatively, you can research creative ideas for home-made gifts.
- Before buying new garden tools or household items see what your neighbours have. Perhaps they can loan you certain items and you will things they can borrow in exchange.
- Record your everyday expenses for a week and review to see where your spending habits can change.
Reduce your spend on clothing
While fashion changes every season, you don’t need to be buying new clothes all the time. If you’re trying to save and cut expenses, here are some ideas to cut down on your clothing costs:
- Always purchase clothes that don’t require regular dry cleaning to avoid the bills.
- Make sure each item you do buy goes with a minimum of two other items already in your wardrobe. This will give you multiple outfits from one purchase.
- Shop at op shops, local markets, online (though be savvy with sizing) and factory outlets to find the best bargains.
- Look out for stocktake sales and end of season clearances to save some serious dollars.
Food, groceries, electricity and water savings
You don’t need to sacrifice quality or quantity when it comes to slashing the cost of feeding the family. Follow these simple tips to shop more efficiently:
- Shop strictly to your list
- Meal plan and stick to it
- Set a budget
- Use an app to track your spending
- Religiously follow the two golden rules of shopping- don’t take your kids, and don’t shop while hungry!
- Buy in bulk
- Cook meals in large batches and be creative with leftovers
- Don’t shop too frequently
- Buy generic
- Shop to the weekly specials
- Reduce junk food purchases
Utility bills always come at inopportune times and usually put a strain on the bank account. See below for ways to reduce the costs of energy and water:
- Switch off everything that isn’t in use
- Don’t have extra appliances, like fridges, that you don’t need
- Hang your washing out where possible to give your dryer a break
- Use a hot water bottle for cold nights in winter and ceiling fans instead of the air con in the summer
- Always turn the lights off
- Check the energy rating on appliances before purchase
- Compare the prices of your local providers
- Take shorter showers with efficient shower heads
- Turn the tap off when you brush your teeth
- Fix leaks immediately
Reduce your bank fees
Look for financial institutions that offer basic bank accounts with the following features:
- No account keeping fees
- No minimum deposit amounts
- No overdrawn fees
- Free monthly statements
There are many small things you can do, and changes to be made that will add up in the long run. If you have any questions on how to get on top of debt, or how to start a budget and make positive financial changes- contact the helpful team at eSolve today on 1-800 ESOLVE today!